Thursday, July 19, 2018

Disney Brings the Magic to Codenames

Thanks to Tryazon and Usaopoly I was selected for the chance to host a Disney Codenames party. I love a good game night and I love to throw a little get together for several of my friends.

For some reason I thought The Little Mermaid was a wonderful theme.

I even decided to make a mixed drink that I called Ariel's Under The Sea Punch. It was delicious!

Anyway if you aren't familiar with what Codenames is let me explain a bit. There are two teams competing against each other. Pictures and words are laid out on a 5X5 grid. There is also a small card that tells which pictures and words belong to which team. One person on each team is the giver of clues. 1 word only clues and a number that correspond to how many pictures or words are on the grid. The game is simple enough but it gets competitive  quite quickly.

This is an example of the how the game is laid out. There are two colors that represent each team. If you were the red team you might give your teammate the clue of ANIMAL 4. Meaning there are 4 animals that are the red color. 
The real fun of codenames is coming up with clues. That is not always an easy task because sometimes what seems like an obvious clue could make your teammate choose the wrong teams card. It should be noted though that this game is best played if you have seen a variety of Disney movies. I mean most common movies are covered. If you are a huge fan of the Disney universe then you won't have any issues in figuring out what cards belong to what movies. The game can be played with either words or pictures, but I found the pictures version to be more fun. Especially since the artwork on most of the cards is stunning. 

Overall I had five people show up at my party. Which is a rather small number. The game can be played with 2-8 people but I have found four or at the most 6 to be the magic number.  We played a couple of different ways first with 3 on 3 and then since we had a second game in our kit we decided to break up and do two separate 3 player modes.


We became the main players as Group 2 was enjoying their version and the Disney music videos in the other room after they split from us leaving us on this side of the table.

Group 2 taking a break from playing. I apologize for the lousy quality of this pic. I didn't realize till the party was over that the sun ruined this image..

It was a fun day to be had by all and everyone had a good time at the party. I will be adding this to my regular game nights as a social ice breaker type game. I thank Tryazon and UsaOpoly once again for giving me the opportunity to host this party. 


Codenames is one of my favorite games to play and I have a few different versions. This holds up and plays just as well as the rest of them. It is geared towards the Disney fan. So if not everyone in your group is a huge fan of Disney then I would personally say stick to the regular or casual themed versions of the Codenames game. With that being said I would normally give regular code names a 4.5. out of 5. Since this retains a lot of what makes that fun but loses the casual element, I give this....

4 out of 5 Stars
★★★★☆

No comments:

Post a Comment